A Treasury Of Jewish Christmas Songs (self-released)
Released in 2017
DownBeat Four-Star Review
The idea for this project has been with me for over a decade – I am grateful and humbled it chose to stick around.
As a Jewish child of Holocaust survivors growing up in Brooklyn, the idea that I would have a secret love affair with Christmas music was an incongruous as… well, the very notion that Jewish songwriters would create so many of the classics. But, as life is often stranger than fiction, I did and they did.
I an delighted that the brilliant “Dr.” Roger Kellaway, along with these fabulous musicians helped me breathe life into this idea. As always, I am eternally grateful for my beautiful wife Lisa and incredible son Dovy, without whom nothing would be the same.
I hope you enjoy this record half as much as I did making it! Much Love and Cheers!
1. A Holly Jolly Christmas (Johnny Marks) 02:38
2. The Christmas Waltz (Sammy Cahn / Jule Styne) 03:29
3. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Johnny Marks) 03:32
4. Winter Wonderland (Felix Bernard / Dick Smith) 03:08
5. Christmas Time Is Here (Vince Guaraldi / Lee Mendelson) 03:03
6. Home for the Holidays (Robert Allen / Al Stillman) 03:44
7. White Christmas (Irving Berlin) 03:41
8. A Christmas Love Song (Alan Begman / Marilyn Bergman / Johnny Mandel) 03:50
9. Let It Snow! (Sammy Cahn / Jule Styne) 02:30
10. I’ll Be Home for Christmas (Kim Gannon / Walter Kent / Buck Ram) 03:11
11. Silver Bells (Ray Evans / Jay Livingston) 04:00
12. It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Edward Pola / George Wyle) 02:26
13. The Christmas Song (Mel Tormé / Robert Wells) 04:39
Jake Ehrenreich: vocals
Roger Kellaway: piano
Bruce Forman: guitars
Dan Lutz: bass
Kevin Winard: percussion
Recorded Hideaway Studios, LA
Project, Musical Concept and Production by Jake Ehrenreich
Co-produced and Orchestrations by Roger Kellaway
Jake Ehrenreich is a classy jazz singer who projects pure tones and pleasantries on A Treasury Of Jewish Christmas Songs his tribute to the Jewish tunesmiths responsible for “The Christmas Song” (Mel Tormé), “White Christmas” (Irving Berlin), “Winter Wonderland” (Felix Bernard) and 10 more. Ensuring that he doesn’t drift into soft sentimentality are esteemed pianist Roger Kellaway and his trio.
Frank-John Hadley (DownBeat)